Saturday, January 14, 2023

Hymn to a Ghost Town

Janey had been drinkin' / Down at the local bar

Tryin' to get some insight on / Just which way and just how far

I rented me a hotel room / It felt like a dried up well

And that's when I met Janey / In our parallel private hells.


Chorus

It was a tragic fait accompli / A down-and-out circus clown

When I roamed the streets and alleys / Of our spirit-less Ghost Town.


Well I loaned her a quarter / Then I gave her my last dime

I woke up singin' cowboy songs / You know the ones that don't even rhyme

Ya see Janey was tryin' to get out of this race / But all she found was a one-way door

And I wondered if there was any Grace / Left in this world anymore.


Chorus


Then I met some folks back up in the hills / They had a heart as big as a house

And I had walked back into the woods / Still searchin' for some way out

Ya see I didn't believe that all of this hard work / Was gonna heal the hole in my heart

And I didn't want what and who I loved / And me to be torn apart.


But I didn't know my own boundaries / I was a prisoner in my own skin

And doin' what they told me / Had been keepin' me locked in

But back up in my hotel room / My guitar had a dream

It dreamed of dancing in the light / When we are all redeemed

(a capella) 

And it told me that the Universe / Had some Master Plan

And it whispered that the Infinite / Dwells in the Heart of Man.


Chorus 2x


When I roamed the streets and alleys / Of our spirit-less Ghost Town.

 

No comments: